Saturday 31 December 2016

Outdated Unrepresentative UK Honours

10 years ago, as I was retiring, I was gobsmacked to be nominated for an MBE in recognition for my NHS work and community stuff ... in fact I thought it was a joke and for some time ignored the letter I received from Buck House!
Initially I decided to refuse it because :
1) I don't agree with the corrupt system which includes people who donate vast sums to Political Parties in order to be knighted et al.
2) I am ashamed of what Britain did as an Empire
3) I was only doing what I considered to be my job; along with campaigning to build a swimming pool on Islay. Recognition was unnecessary.

I was paid peanuts for the work I did as a single-handed, part-time radiographer / ultrasonographer ....on call for 36 years (24/7 for 30 years until WTD from the EU made it illegal) .... and my inept bosses refused all requests for training or support which might have improved my grading and my pension. At first I doubted that my managers had nominated me because I was a thorn in their flesh. However now, I think it was a cop-out because my pay & conditions were rubbish and this was supposed to be compensation.
I enjoyed my job enormously apart from the frustrations caused by ignorant, inefficient managers.

As for the swimming pool voluntary 'work'....so many others were involved much more than me....and it was fun! We loved it and used all kinds of ways to make the £1mil we needed (25years ago) in our community and nationally. My memory includes being wrapped in tinfoil from the waist down, wearing two clam shells and a glitter wig, selling kisses on the back of a float, which was decorated as a pool. 50 pence was quite a sum in those days....even for kissing a mermaid!

My point is that I was never told who nominated me. I still have no proof. If I had refused it or if I was to return it, some well-meaning, lovely people in my small community would be very hurt because I know the nomination (for the pool part at least) was made out of genuine kindness and gratitude.
So....I agree that the honours system is corrupt, outdated and demeaned by governments, as is the House of Lords, but there must be many others like me, who are in a difficult place!
It would make lots of difference if my MBE was useful....but sadly it isn't and the gong resides in the back of a drawer.....my returning it now would serve no good purpose because I am not a celebrity....

No comments:

Post a Comment